Friday, October 23, 2009

Friday Fix: An Everyday Problem?

This Friday Fix is brief but necessary.

Every day should be two words when you mean that something occurs on a daily basis: Please take your vitamins every day.

The one-word version, everyday, is an adjective: I'm going to change from my church clothes into my everyday clothes. Aaahhh, that's better.

(Psst...here's a bonus tip you won't find in text books. Just a lil summ summ from me to you. If the word "stinkin'" makes sense between the every part and the day part, take the two-word form. As in, I make my bed every stinkin' day. --Shyeah! Like, who does that?)

Quiz time:
Which are correct?
1. We'll have to meet everyday this week to get ready for the event.
2. I'll be glad to get back to my everyday routine.
3. I've told you every day for the past year that your everyday shoes are the brown ones!
4. Leave the good china in the hutch! We'll use the every day dishes.


If you said 2 and 3 you are correct! Muchos kudos!

Don't you wish Friday Fix was an everyday post? Or would it just be another thing to read every stinkin' day? :-) Peace out, Wordlovers.

No comments: