Saturday, January 3, 2009

Three for Three

It just dawned on me yesterday as I clicked on "publish post" that so far in '09, I had posted every single day! (Sure, it was only Jan. 2, but hey, it starts where it starts!) Having a perfect average so far inspired me to see how far I can take it. I'm not setting the unrealistic goal of posting every day of 2009. That would be setting myself up for failure and maybe guilt and who needs that?

But it did take me back to a thought I keep coming back to time and time again: I need to be more disciplined in my writing. Big time. If you want to become a great basketball player, you practice and at least mess around with the ball and the hoop. A lot. If you want to become a great chef, you experiment and readjust and get creative. A lot. Not every shot will go in for the b-ball player, and not every dish will be a hit for the chef. But the odds of a swisher and a five-star gourmet meal increase with each attempt.

It's the same with writing. So even though most of my posts will fall into the category of "random" and will likely fade into oblivion, some of them may turn into devotions. Or articles. Or who knows? Every great work began with a random thought. And even random thoughts--if God-inspired--are great.

Isaiah 50:10-11, "Who among you fears the Lord and obeys his servant? If you are walking in darkness, without a ray of light, trust in the Lord and rely on your God. But watch out, you who live in your own light and warm yourselves by your own fires. This is the reward you will receive from me: You will soon lie down in great torment."

Lord, I really want to develop a discipline for this area you've entrusted to me. I ask for your spirit of diligence and self-control so that I can better ready myself for you to work. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

5 comments:

Kara Akins said...

Well, we went to Nashville and I was completely out of my element. I am so use to simply being surrounded by my children in the comfort of our home, thinking Jesus. I was not use to the atmosphere of Nashville. I was "thinking Jesus" as the New Year came in but I was thinking, "Lord, please don't let my New Year reflect this."

If there is something He wants me to do there then He'll have to make it clear to me.

Wanted to update you and I shared a little more of how I felt with you then I did on my blog.

Gretchen said...

Yea Kathy! Way to go. My blog is beyond neglected. I think they may take it away. Just kidding. Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

i'm impressed =) keep up the hard work!! lol

God's girl said...

Wow girl that is impressive to me. I am so missing out because I haven't visited every day! LOL!

Yes, so good to work with God has entrusted us with.

Much love,
Angela

Denny said...

I triple dog dare-you to post on your blog everyday this year!! You still have-at the time of this comment-approx 6 hrs and 40 minutes to post today and not break your record. You can do it!
Go Kath-i go!